Archive for March, 2012

Wednesday, March 21st, 2012

Before You Build – Read the Preservation Plan

Hancock Park has been a Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ) for over four years; helping to preserve our beautiful, historic neighborhood.  The principal purpose of the Hancock Park HPOZ is to 1) Provide clear preservation guidelines for rehabilitation of the street visible facades; 2) Ensure that the height, bulk, massing, lot coverage and architectural design of additions and infill development are compatible with the historic fabric of the neighborhood; and 3) Prevent tear downs and extensive demolition of historic, contributing buildings.  Every HPOZ, including Hancock Park’s, has a specific Preservation Plan that articulates and delineates how the goals of the HPOZ are to be implemented.Uggs Outlet Online.

The HPOZ Board, which along with the City Planning office, reviews any changes that the City Planning Office determines fall under the Preservation Plan.  It’s very important that homeowners review the Preservation Plan when planning changes to their properties.  This ensures that you don’t spend a lot of time and money planning changes that may not be approved.  Remember, many changes, such as adding a new pathway or retaining wall, or a new fountain or changing windows and doors, may require review by the HPOZ Board even though they may not require a building permit.Cheap Uggs Outlet.

Some of the areas that are reviewed in the Hancock Park HPOZ are:

  • Size of additions,
  • Changes to the street visible façade of houses, including finishes;
  • Roof lines and windows;
  • Hardscape, including walkways, driveways, patios, and fountains;
  • Fencing and retaining walls in the street visible part of the property

So, if you’re planning changes to your house read the Preservation Plan which can be found at: or ) and contact City Planner Matthew Glesne (213-978-1216 or

Be sure and look at our website for news – .  Also, In the event of a crime contact the Wilshire Division LAPD station – 213-473-0476 or website: as well as our Senior Lead Officer, Dave Cordova (213-793-0650; Contact the association (or Tree Committee Chair, Susan Grossman, if you need a parkway tree.  Report graffiti sightings by calling 311 or at the City’s Anti-Graffiti Request System – and by calling Hollywood Beautification, 323-463-5180 Questions regarding filming – contact Filming Committee, Cami Taylor (323-692-1414-Home and 310-659-6220-Office).